TechEDGE is the Lynchburg area’s premiere business and education conference- featuring a dozen speakers, regional technology awards, member exhibits and business networking.
Join us May 23 from 1-8pm at the Holiday Inn in downtown Lynchburg where we will be tracing the pulse and scanning the horizon for issues relevant to the technology, business, education and local government communities in the Lynchburg area and beyond.
This premiere, half-day regional conference is unlike any other local event, featuring a dynamic interchange of leaders addressing critical, technology-related issues that are dramatically impacting our organizations and professional lives.
With numerous speakers throughout the day – this is a unique and fast-paced opportunity to glean from key regional and state leaders who are forerunners in their fields. TechEDGE also carries on our decade’s long tradition of honoring the most innovative technology-focused business and education leaders within our regional community, as well as provides one of the largest, local professional networking events of it’s kind. You won’t want to miss this!
Speaker Sessions – Each session will include up to 3 speakers that will present for no longer than 10 minutes and will receive suggestions for their presentation that keeps in mind the conference theme. There will be time for a couple of questions from the audience at the end of each session. See below and go here for more speaker details.
Technology Awards – For over a decade the Technology Council has been recognizing the technology leaders within the regional community. After each session we will continue this tradition, announcing winners in one of four categories:
- Technology Company of the Year
- Entrepreneur of the Year
- Educator of the Year
- Innovator of the Year
Member and STEM Exhibits – We also will be extending the invitation for corporate displays and exhibits that will be open during the reception time. We anticipate exhibitors from within our membership as well as STEM-related student teams from areas schools. If you are interested in being an exhibitor during the networking reception you can reserve your exhibit space when registering online.
Networking Reception – We believe strongly in the power of business networking. Through networking new opportunities are uncovered and new collaborations are born. Come join us for a casual end to an exciting day as we bring together one of the most diverse, technology-focused group of professionals in the region.
Summary of Event Details:
What: TechEDGE 2013 – The Lynchburg region’s premiere business, education and technology conference features a dozen speakers, regional technology awards, member exhibits and business networking. This annual event hosted by the Region 2000 Technology Council is essential for anyone interested in technology-related and current trends – including: local professionals, educators, business owners, entrepreneurs, local government members, civic leaders, students…and everyone in-between!
When: May, 23, 2013 | 1:00 to 8:00 pm (see below for schedule break down)
Where: Holiday Inn, Downtown Lynchburg, Virginia (601 Main Street Lynchburg,Virginia 24504) VIEW MAP HERE.
Driving directions: From Rt 29 South, Take Exit 1 (main Street). Left Onto Main Street. Hotel 8 Blocks On Left. From Rt 29 North, Take Exit 1a (main Street). Right Onto Main Street. Hotel 8 Blocks On Left. Parking in parking garage/deck by hotel.
Cost: Tech Council Members: $60 |Non-Members $75 | Students and K-12 Educators: $25 –
After May 17 all tickets: $85 (Update: Late fee canceled!)
Opening Remarks and Recognition of our Corporate Sponsors – (1:00-1:15)
- Cathie Brown, President, Region 2000 Technology Council
Leadership Session followed by the Technology Company of the Year Award (Sponsored by CIT) – (1:15- 2:15)
- Session Moderator: Jonathan Whitt, Executive Director, Region 2000 Technology Council
Topics and Speakers:
- The New Economy And Why What Your Dad Told You Is Wrong | John Provo, Director, Office of Economic Development, VA Tech
- Health Insurance, What In The World Is Going On? | Alan Wood, CEO, Piedmont Community Health Plan
- Why Virginia Tops The Charts And What’s About To Change | Rob McClintock, VP of Research, VEDP
Break – (2:15-2:30)
Entrepreneurship Session followed by the Entrepreneur of the Year Award (Sponsored by AMTI) – (2:30-3:30)
- Session Moderator: Christopher Rhodes, Principle/Intellectual Property Attorney, Rhodes IP, PLC
Topics and Speakers:
- Why Now Is The Time To Start A Technology Company | Alex Euler, Investment Director, CIT Gap Funds
- Top 5 Things Entrepreneurs Want And Need Right Now | Tom Scott, Professor, Sweet Briar College
- If At First You Don’t Succeed, Fail Again | Jonathan Hagmaier, CEO, Interactive Achievement, Inc.
Break – (3:30-3:45)
STEM Education and Workforce Dev. Session followed by Educator of the Year Award (sponsored by Lumos) – (3:45-4:45)
- Session Moderator: Brian Davis, Executive Director, Region 2000 Workforce Investment Board (WIB)
Topics and Speakers:
- How Stem Education Will Save Our Economy | Elizabeth Narehood, Director, Future Focus Foundation
- Baby Boomers And The Impending Workforce Shortage | Denise Scruggs, Director, Beard Center on Aging at Lynchburg College
- The HR Perspective – Who We’re Looking To Hire | Connie Burnette, VP, Department Manager, Human Resources, Wiley Wilson
Break – (4:45-5:00)
Innovation Session followed by the Innovator of the Year Award (Sponsored by AREVA) – (5:00-6:00)
- Session Moderator: Des Black, Director IS/IT, AREVA
Topics and Speakers:
- The Impact And Future Of Regional Research Clusters | Bob Bailey, Executive Director, CAER
- Crowdsourcing and Crowdfunding | Michael Drzal, Principle/Attorney, LeClair Ryan
- What Innovation Is And Is Not | Dr. Andrew Cook Sr, Senior Vice President Operational Excellence and Innovation, AREVA
Networking Reception & Member Exhibits (Sponsored by LeClair Ryan) – (6:00-8:00)
REGISTER & NOMINATE >>>
If you are interested in registering via physical form (web registration is at the top of the page) and/or submitting a nomination for the TechEDGE 2013 technology and innovation awards please see the forms below (2 pages) or download: here.
For the official press release go: here